Sunday, February 6, 2011

A Conversation with a Girl in a Blue- Line Bus



(translated in English)

Me: Where do you get off? (Hoping that she’d name my station or something farther because I did not recognize my station!)

She: Nizzamuddin. You?

Me: Okhla.

SILENCE

She (fiddling with the corner of her lime green synthetic salwar kurta): I like you.

Me: (A bit shocked at this uncalled for admiration)

She: You are not like those other girls who think too high of themselves and stuff earphones in their ears to avoid any conversation. You talk!

Me: (Stuffing my earphones deeper in my purse pocket): Oh. (Smiling uncomfortably) Thank you.. You are .. err.. very nice too.

She: (Smiling brightly): What standard are you in?

Me: (Staring at the black thread on her wrist which had a pretty shell hanging from it at a weird angle): Huh? Oh. I am through with school.

She: Really? What are you doing out of your home, alone in a bus then?

Me: (Wishing for my bed and AC): I am going for work.

She: You work?

Me: Not exactly. I am going for an interview.

She: Government or private? Getting a private job post 12th is not easy. Infact, now – a – days, government jobs are hard to find.

Me: You are right about that. But I am a graduate.

She: B.A.?

Me: Yup.

She: (looking at me with renewed awe): Then you are sure to get this job. What sort of work is it?

Me: Um.. It is hard to explain. I work for TV companies or newspapers or radio. Do you understand?

She: (Stares at me, blinks and looks away)

Me: (Feeling mighty awkward that I had made her uncomfortable). What do you do?

She: (Looking extremely proud and happy): I have just given my 10th standard exams.

Me: (Relieved at the change of topic): Great. So Delhi Darshan?

She: Yes. (Flicks her long braid forward, unties her red ribbon and reties it). My brother is taking us to Ajmer to meet our uncle’s mama’s sister.

Me: Oh. So where are you from?

She: Hampi. Madhya Pradesh.

Me: Oh. Yes. I have heard of it in our geography lessons.

She: Geography?

Me: Anyway. So how long have you been in Delhi?

She: Oh, we have seen everything. We came at 7 in the morning. Went to Jama Masjid and then visited Red Fort. It is so boring. Red - red everywhere no?

Me (Big fan of old buildings): Mm-hm. (Looking for a change of topic) So, you and your brother are sight – seeing today, eh?

She: No, no. Me, my eldest brother, my two sister and 4 step – siblings as well.

Me (shocked into silence, trying to find my voice): Umm.. wow, that is some picnic I must say.

She: How many brothers and sisters do you have?

Me: I have an elder sister.

She: And?

Me: And that’s it.

She: What? No brothers?

Me: No. Just us two sisters.

She: Your dad never remarried?

Me: What? No! I mean, by God’s grace both my parents are very much alive and together!

She (Somewhat apologetically and confused): Oh, I thought your mother would have… My mother died 
when I was 3 years old. My father remarried and so …

Me: Oh.

(SILENCE)

Me: You should visit Qutub Minar too. And the zoo as well, it is a lot of fun! The Purana Qila is also nearby:

She (Not so interactive anymore): My brother will not agree. Besides, we are taking the train back to Ajmer today from Nizamuddin.

An old man with a long salt – and – pepper beard came along and tapped the girl in a very un-gentlemanly fashion on her shoulder and moved on. He was trailed by quite a long queue of boys and girls of all ages in similar bright coloured synthetic clothes. The girls had a lot of bling on their salwar – kameez and all the boys wore identical skull caps.

She: My stop is here. It was extremely nice talking to you. You are a pretty girl.

Me: (Blushing slightly out of habit): Thank you. It was wonderful talking to you too. Have a safe journey.
She alighted the bus and waved at me cheerfully. I waved back from the window.

The bus started moving again.



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

btw,how was ur interview??

Auspicious said...

I like the unsaid part of this story. The open ended approach. Beautiful.

Puneet said...

I like the way the tourist girl talked to you. She was bubbly and gregarious.
And it is true that Delhites avoid talking, hence the headphones. Buses, metros, even the roads.
I am not a Delhite, but whenever I am in Delhi, I do the same. Looks like a lot of conversations are missed.
The best part was "It's all red-red, no?"