Sunday, August 22, 2010

Preface

Ah, first love. Falling in love for the first time is quite like the first rains of the season. Pleasant, but still unsatisfying. It is such a unique feeling, this first love. Recently a friend of mine, whom I considered rather unromantic, admitted to being smitten. While we were conversing I felt a slight ache in my cheeks and realized I had been smiling since the beginning and for some weird reason, just couldn’t stop! Maybe because I was elated for my dear friend or maybe because it brought back fond memories or a bit of both.

My friend, let’s call him Mr. A, is not in love, so he claims. But I rather strongly believe that he is falling in that beautiful, treacherous thing called love. Listening to him struggling for the right words is such a treat. First comes the admission. Mr. A is a very smart and wise guy, though reserved and shy of nature. I can only imagine how hard it would have been for him to admit his feelings. It was by an accident that I caught him and then the persistent woman I am, I wiggled the story. And I am so glad I did. I could feel the internal conflict in his mind: to tell, or not to tell. But then, these things are hard to hide. Because there is a constant need to share your confusion, your feelings with someone. Yet, trusting someone with your feelings is a hard decision to make. Some corner of your mind is always busy thinking about that special person while another part builds up a denial, though a weak one. There is an unexplainable desire to talk about that person which wins over all defenses.

Thus, in some time Mr. A did oblige me by sharing some of his thoughts. In the process, he exposed his vulnerable and soft side which secretly hopes that the object of his admiration has feelings for him too. His every detail (extracted after a lot of effort from my side) was followed by a quick denial. Time for an example:

Me: So, do I know the girl?
Mr.A: No. But I don’t know her myself. It’s nothing like that. Don’t overwork your brain.
Me: Ok, so is she from (name of a place)?
Mr. A: Hmmm.. Maybe. But there is no one! Believe me!
Me: Yes yes. I totally believe you *wink wink*
Mr. A: I haven’t spoken to her ever
(This, my friends, is the admission to some feelings)
Me: So, is it love at first sight?
Mr. A: I don’t know (very typical of him!). But I do know that she had a crush on me but then, the stupid guy I was, I never paid attention.
(And the regret seals the matter. And again, the denial follows…)
Mr. A: But it really is nothing like that… Just… I have a faint liking for her…
Me: This is how it starts!
Mr. A: But it's nothing. There is no one!

And the conversation continues in the same vein. Soon, I come to know details like her name, and how Mr. A is acquainted with her and how much this love story has progressed. The details flow easily because the desire to just talk about her, to have your mind filled with that person’s image takes over the rational sense of being secretive. But to cover this word spill, soon follows the lame line that nothing would come out of it, which the speaker himself doesn't want to happen.

The entire conversation was so sweet and full of longing and emotion and fears and hopes. I, being the third party, thoroughly relished the sweet play of confused emotions which flowed uninterruptedly.

Here’s hoping that Mr. A’s love story would find a beautiful beginning because the preface is definitely heartwarming.

Cheers Mr. A!

1 comment:

Nithesh S said...

Oh! Man this reminds me of something that happened to me. I could've been Mr.A