Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Merit List

In my extremely uneventful 20 years and 10 months, I have met thousands of people. Of them I remember a few hundred and rest I forget without a glimmer of regret. Of the ones I remember, I like about a hundred (most I like and some I like very much), I dislike around thirty and I don’t spare many emotions for the rest. Of the hundred I do like, I can count the people I love on my fingertips. Of these handful loved ones, there are only about ten people with whom I can be myself and I can trust them with my secrets, thoughts,  joy, sorrows and my life.

This part is easy. The tough part is answering the following questions. How many people find me worth remembering? In how many ‘I LIKE’ lists do I feature and how many people have added my name in their HATE lists? For how many am I like cellophane: Invisible and disposable from their lives. Who are the people who love me? For how many am I indispensable and trustworthy?

Of the above questions, the important task is to know the answer to the last two questions. If most of the people on your ‘I LOVE’ list find you lovable too, then you should know that you are an extremely lucky person. All you have to do is ensure that it remains this way always. And in case, you are special for a person who might have just made it to your ‘I LIKE’ or worse, ‘INVISIBLE’ list, then you just have to make some extra effort to understand them more and if not love, respect them and be grateful for their generosity towards you.

After all, these are the people who make your life worth living.

P.S. If I could name all the people who have made my life special with their lead role, supporting role and cameos, I would have. But then, written lists bring a smile to a face but remembering and cherishing someone in your heart brings joy to lives.

No comments: