Monday, July 5, 2010

Sambhar

Sambhar
I was one of the unfortunate one’s who endured Dharma production’s latest attempt at producing a blockbuster for themselves. I Hate Luv Storys. Throughout the torture, the upmost thought on my mind was ‘When would this be over?!’ followed by ‘How could they make this sh*t’. But when I could finally bring myself to even think about this movie in retrospect, the only thought on my mind was not love stories, or how cute Imran looked or how dumb Sonam really is, or how I can make better films and how I am a better actor than Ms. Kapoor or how would New Zealand be as a honeymoon destination but… what was I saying again? Oh yes, sorry :P. The predominant issue was perfection. Oh no I am still sane. The movie was a far cry from being perfect but we are now above and over it. Perfection in us mere mortals.


I am sure everyone harbours different expectations from their partners which are never satisfied. So this means no one has a Mr./ Ms. Perfect. I believe people are like sambhar. Yes, yes, the sambhar from  idli – sambhar. A perfect sambhar should be an accurate mixture of spices. It should be a bit sweet and a bit sour and a bit spicy. But the only trouble is that there can’t be a fixed recipe which would go down well with everyone. You see, everyone has different tastes and preferences. And taste is not the only parameter. Temperament is also an important consideration sir. Some like their sambhar extremely spicy while others prefer it slightly sweet. Some want it steaming hot while some need it to be luke warm. But howsoever it is, it is never perfect. Take my example. I am vegetarian and what makes matters complicated is that I don’t relish half the green stuff that grows on Mother Earth. Hence, I like my sambhar minus the veggies. But I don’t like it plain as well. So apart from being the right amount of spicy and the exact temperature that I can enjoy without burning my tongue it should also have only the green stuff which I can tolerate. Complex much? Well, it is nothing! The specifications for some people never end. Remember what the original concept was?

Sambhar = People

I am sure the smart ones would have understood by now. But here follows the explanation for the tube lights. Your sambhar can never ever be perfect. We all succeed in pin pointing some spice which wasn’t added. And if we can’t find anything to criticize, it would just be the salt. Either a pinch more or less. But never satisfactory. Just like that, the people you are with are never right. Some missing ingredient always spoils the fun. The solution is not to carry with you a sack full of spices or a microwave to spice/ heat up your sambhar to your preferred temperature. The key is to enjoy and appreciate what you have rather than spoiling your mood over what you don’t. Adjust. I’ll share a secret with you today. My dad says, if you have your meals with a smile on your face and appreciation in your heart, no matter what you are eating, you would always find it yummy. And if you still don’t, it would prove that there is something majorly wrong with you. But in that case just remember your science and list down all those vitamins and minerals and other healthy stuff that meal would give you. Be thankful for what you have. And you’ll find that your sambhar is just right!  

2 comments:

piyushi said...

i am the new admirer of ur "Sambhar" theory!!

The Half Truth said...

i'd give some credit to Punit Malhotra's I hate Luv Storys though! :P