Saturday, November 24, 2012

But you are too young to be married!


I'm 23. I'm engaged.

And it seems like the most drastic thing that a 23 years old could be.

When the news got out, before being congratulated on having landed a talented and handsome young man, most of my well wishers asked, so soon? But you are so young! Why the hurry?

Its funny that I was never told you are too young for this when I won the lead actress award for a school theatre in second grade. No one asked what the hurry was when I read my first Shakespeare at age 7. Why was I not asked in surprised tones why I had to choreograph my parents' 25th anniversary programme when I was at a young and impressionable age of 15. I wasn't questioned about being too young to be a leading news channel's youngest anchor at 21 years of age. No one raises an eyebrow at the fact that at 23 years I'm as (if not more) qualified and in a better income bracket than their son of 30 years! So if I wasn't too young to be all the above, why am I too young to be married?

So when relatives, family, friends, colleagues or even random people sound more surprised than happy at the news,(What?! You are getting married! So soon?? Why?! I can't believe you are already engaged at 23! Oh anyway, congratulations) I fail to see the 'big deal' in the entire issue.

And for those, who keep asking me why so soon, the reason, my dears is love. And if that isn't reason enough for you, then to each her own.

P.S. I'll rather have my fun when I'm young and excited about it than waiting for the appropriate age. :P

No comments: