Tuesday, February 14, 2012

V- Day? Big Deal...




What really is the big deal about Valentine’s Day anyway? Oh, don’t pitch me into the anti – V-Day lobby, yet. I do welcome it. After all it is the only day when the metro smells like a bouquet of fresh (and exorbitantly expensive) roses. This is one of the few days when I see people smiling a lot for no evident reason. But that is about it. Now follows a list of things about the day which irk me up! (And no, I am not even going to talk about how none of the people neck deep in Valentine’s Day celebrations know the origin, meaning or importance of Valentine’s Day or the Christian martyrs Valentines)


  • ·         Red Alert! I like red. It’s a bright and energetic colour. But like everything else in life, it should be moderate. And I have a throbbing headache since I boarded the metro today evening. The combination of yellow light and all shades of red is very disturbing after a long day at work. Red shoes, red clothes (I counted 7 girls wearing red pants!), red scarves, red accessories, red phones and (worst of all) red make-up. To top it up, bouquets and stuffed teddies and big cards (Archies gallery definitely made a huge profit this year!). Red! Ugh!! (Oh, and I haven’t even mentioned pink, hot pink, baby pink, fuschia etc. here!)
  • ·         Gush Giggle Gush! I couldn’t help overhearing some conversations on my way to work today. While a couple of girls were showing off their boyfriends’ romantic feats to their friends, some were cooing yucky sweet nothings over the phone. Oh, there was one girl who was planning to give her boyfriend the most coveted gift, her virginity. Need I explain more? It was a bad day to leave my earphones home. Ugh!

  • ·         So what’s your plan? Even I asked a lot of people the same question today. 4 out of 5 times, it was either in a funny or sarcastic manner. In return, I was asked this question close to 20 times today. I lost count after that. It wouldn’t have bothered me to reply “Oh, nothing special, just a regular Tuesday”. But what irked me was that the question putter was least bothered about my response! It was just a clever way to brag about their own plans when I asked about their plans in return. And the polite kid that I am, I fell for it every time. After a while it just got boring listening about lunches, dinners, coffees, walks, movies, drives and shopping trips. Ugh!
  • ·         Message memory full! I had planned to count the total number of BBMs, texts, whatsaaps, emails, facebook tags, notifications, promotional emails and messages today. But sometime during the day I just gave up. Poor Bobby just wouldn’t stop buzzing! (Bobby being my BlackBerry, in case you still don’t know!). It is weird how people you haven’t spoken to in ages send you romantic messages (which would have been no doubt forwarded to their entire list!). I wish I got the same response on my birthdays too *rolling eyes*.
  • ·         Show me the love, or maybe not! Both subtle and inconspicuous declarations and re-iterations of love could be seen on all social networking portals. Names, hints to names, love quotes, hearts and hugs and kisses… I won’t be surprised if I get diabetes soon. But I’m certainly impressed that this year my count of “I have/ had a crush on you” went down to just two! Or maybe I am getting old now! Ugh!


I am sure had you gone through this ordeal, you would have been irked up as well. I mean, it is just insensitive pushing your how-so-ever much blooming love life in some-one else’s face and… hold on! It’s the door-bell.
.
.
.
Whoa! Would you believe it?! Someone couriered me a huge poster of my pictures and chocolates! Oh these are all my favourite pictures and Toblerone and 5 Stars and Twix! And oh my goodness! This certificate here says someone named a star after me! Wow! Isn’t it great?! And there is this huge bouquet of beautiful roses along with it! And…oops!... errr… maybe Valentine’s isn’t so bad after all.
 :P
(Did anyone else have a case of sour grapes?)
    

No comments: